Friday, October 16, 2015

10/16/15

I started thinking about this picture weeks ago on my way home after seeing Grace. I wrote about it, here, how I constantly dismiss positive compliments and such. Growing up everything was so negative I feel like I don't even know how to process positive things.

A few weeks ago while writing about this I wrote, "I used to love photography. It was my life. I loved photographing nature. While on a vacation I took a picture of a water lily that was in this bucket, I think we were at a zoo. A month of so later I submitted this picture I took into this high school photography contest for our school district. The picture got 3rd place in it's category. It might not sounds like it was much, but it was a big deal. Want to know one of the main things I remember about that, Grandpa  telling me, 'You should have picked that dead leaf off  before taking the picture.'"

I started looking for the picture, but could not find it. Last night I really started looking, I searched everywhere. I even looked to see if I had the negative I could get developed, no luck. This morning a thought came to me, maybe I printed a copy of it when I was in college. I was a Photography major in college, all 1 semester of it! If I did then it would be in my binder all of the photos I printed. I pulled them out and started flipping through them, then I found it! It's exactly like I remember, except the original was in color. As I recall the lily was purple and that pedal touching the water, it was a little brown, barely a different color from the lily. I didn't find it distracting or ruining the picture, it was nature. That's the story of my life, I win 3rd place in this major photography contest and my Grandpa's response is, "You should have picked the dead pedal off."

Looking at this I keep thinking, that pedal gives it character. If I had picked it off, it would just be this lily floating in the water, no big deal. Maybe it's just me, but every time I look at it, my eye goes straight to the pedal, it makes it more unique to me. It makes the whole picture, this pedal bending down, touching the water.

11/5/15
I found it! Now that I see it in color I feel even more confused, it looks perfect to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment