Thursday, May 14, 2015

5/14/15

Way back 12 years ago I was 18. I was about to graduate from high school. I was struggling with so much, but there was no way in heck that I would ever consider counseling! Then one fateful day in June things came crashing down, one thing lead to another and by the end of July I found myself in counseling!

For a LONG time I refused to open up to my counselor, who on here I refer to as Joy. Eventually I opened up to her and my life completely changed! After finishing counseling with Joy, I got married, moved out of state and started counseling with Aaaron. I haven't gotten to writing about Aaron on here yet, but I had a HORRIBLE experience with him. After Aaron I gave up on counseling. I no longer trusted it. A few years later I re-reached my breaking point and found myself in James's office. I'm grateful that I gave counseling another try and ended up with someone like James. After I finished seeing James, about a year later I found I still needed some help with things, so I went back to seeing him.

Now, here I find myself again sitting in a counselors office. Sigh. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be "done" with counseling. Naturally when I first started thinking about going back to counseling to deal with my depression I thought to go back to James. After further thought, I realized, he doesn't deal with depression. However, I did know  someone that is a counselor and deals with depression, and I already trust them... Joy!

We had our first visit last week and it went really well. Part of me was nervous that I would revert back 12 years and re-close up. Ha ha ha, yeah I don't think I could re-close up if I wanted it. I'm a different person now. One who is not afraid to open up and talk about things that are going on.

I do have one confession to make... 2 weeks ago if you had asked me if my depression was related to my own thoughts, I would have told you No way! I 100% believed that my depression was a chemical imbalance and there was no way in heck that if I changed my thinking that it would affect my depression in any way, shape or form.

Just days before making an appointment with Joy I was close to rock bottom. Thanks to the awesome side-effects I can't stay on Prozac for very long and I had been off of it for a few months. I went back on since I was barely functioning at that point. I was on it for a little less than 2 weeks and I am now going back off it. After 2 days I am feeling fine. We'll see how it goes over time. Brad keeps asking me WHY I would go off Prozac. After all, I am so much happier on it. I am trying to change my thinking and I don't want Prozac affecting it.

Why am I all of a sudden a believe that changing my thinking can affect my depression? A book Joy told me to read! I'm on chapter 4 and I've been learning so much! Seriously, if you suffer from depression, or are just not happy, go read this book! You Can Feel Good Again by Richard Carlson.

No comments:

Post a Comment