Sunday, November 17, 2013

11/17/13

Why I don’t think it’s “wonderful”...

My grandparents were keeping my Grandpa's decision to get baptized a secret from their ward until Grandpa was ready to announce it. I’m guessing they announced it today. One of my Facebook friends (who is in my parents ward) tagged me in their facebook post, mentioning how their heard the “most wonderful” news.

I’ll set aside the fact that he was abusive to me...

I don’t think he deep down wants to convert whole heartedly to the church. Growing up he always said he wanted to wait until the end of his life before he was baptized. As he said, “I want to eat, drink and be merry. Then just before I die, I’ll get baptized.” Now as he approaches 80, I’m sure he feels that he needs to do it to save his soul.

He is Catholic and still has that mindset. He told Grandma, my uncle and I (after he announced it to the family)  “I don’t want to get the priesthood, I don’t want to get endowed, I don’t want to get sealed. I am not going to go to Sunday School or Priesthood. I will only keep going to Sacrament meeting. If I need copies made on Sunday, I am still going to go to the store and get them.”

He views his baptism as his saving ordnance. All he has to do is get wet and he’s saved. He thinks nothing in his life actually needs to be changed or affected in any way. I have heard that he has stopped drinking.

He also said that if everyone he knows can’t see him get baptized, he doesn’t want to do it! He is expecting hundreds (yes, 100’s) of people to come and he wants to make sure every single one of those people can physically see him get baptized. The mission president told him he will have it televised into the chapel for everyone who doesn’t fit in the room to see. My uncle told him, no we are not doing that. I agree. It is ridiculous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment